Friday, May 30, 2008

Goodbye Nalgenes


Since Thermo Fisher announced that their popular Nalgene Outdoor bottle contains BPA, I have felt a deep sense of loss. I have been a long time user of Nalgenes--I currently own 10. Those Nalgenes and I have been through a lot together: up to the Living Room, Big Cottonwood, Grand Canyon. I use them at work. They're more than just a means to carry liquid--they are friends, companions. We hike together, road trip together, share our experiences together. They have provided me life-giving waters. They have given me Gatorade. I've even used them to make chocolate pudding out on the trail. They're not just bottles--they are a part of me.

I'm less worried about the biological effects of the BPA I have consumed than the lifestyle change of using another bottle. It's like breaking up--you've been together so long, you don't know if you could ever be with someone else. And what do you do with all the pictures, the mementos? Just toss them? I'm not quite ready to do that. I'll just have to ease into a new path of life, a new social circle, a new outdoor bottle. Goodbye Nalgenes, I'll never forget our times together, and what you gave me!

4 comments:

Matt said...

Your blogpost was one that I could have written....we have recently gone BPA free and I have felt a deep sense of lost as I've had to slowly say goodbye to old friends....

Lizzie said...

Wait, did you really stop using them?! JT and I stopped for about a day, but I let's be honest that did not last long - I even drank out of one last night! Should I really throw them out?! Help!

Anonymous said...

Is it carrying the metaphor too far if I think of them as friends that were trying to kill me?

Mary Anne said...

Well, well - I know I shouldn't be up, but this is hillarious. My sister Jane and I were just talking about this. I relate to your sentiments, except we only have about 6 Nalgenes between the 4of us.