Thursday, May 22, 2008

New Sheets

I wore out my second pair of sheets last week. Have you ever done that? I woke up and there was a big tear down the middle. I didn't know sheets could wear out like that. I thought, "Maybe I can just sew it up." The surrounding area was too worn out for that--anywhere I would pull to test the strength "rippp!" another tear.

I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond to look for a new set. Sheets are expensive! Eighty and 90 dollars a set! I found a set that was on sale for $62.99, still a lot money. "I wonder if I have any of those Bed, Bath and Beyond coupons that come in the mail," I thought. Do you get those? I checked the junk mail pile at home--nothing. I asked my parents. They had one but it had expired. Not to worry, two days later another one showed up.

So tonight I went to the store, armed with my 20% off coupon. I figured that with 20% off I could weigh the options and get something that I really liked. So I started pulling sets off the shelf to compare. My main criteria was color. I was leaning toward the greenish ones. I walked up and down the aisles looking for reasonably priced green ones (that is, less than $80 retail). And then I found the clearance section. Apparently, the Bed, Bath and Beyond brand is only $29.99 for a king set. But, they were on clearance for $19.97. Subtract 20%, and you get $15.98. $15.98! But they weren't my first choice of color. They were also on 250 thread count instead of 300. The 300 thread count was $64.99. I kept looking at the two: "this one is the color I like. . . but this one is only $15. But I like the color better on this one. . . but this one is only $15. Sixty-five dollars. . . or fifteen dollars." I deliberated for the better part of 40 minutes.

I bought the $15 set. I'm so proud of myself. They aren't wrinkle-free like the other ones, but they were only $15. I ironed the pillowcases so now there's only a hint of wrinkles on those, and I think after a few nights, I'll totally forget the other color. Good job, Spence. Way to live cheap.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done. Now you have an extra $75 that a less thrifty version of you wouldn't possess. You should go blow it on something.

Ann Rowan said...

Congrats on the new sheets! And for future reference, it turns out BB&B will take expired coupons without batting an eye! I took one in hoping I could talk them into it and she didn't even care about my little sob story, she just scanned it. Store policy.

Lizzie said...

That is so funny! Maybe you could dye your sheets green? I'm really proud of you!

Unknown said...

spencer - i laughed out loud about your ironing your pillowcases. in the best sense. you should get double points for both the economical choice and the industrious follow up.
happy pillow fluffing to you.